The most highly recognised intervention program for hip and knee osteoarthritis
GLA:D is the most highly recognised worldwide education and exercise program for those with hip and knee osteoarthritis. The 6 week program consists of:
- Baseline testing to be completed 1:1 with your physiotherapist. This comprises of a series of functional testing (timed walk test, repetitive sit to stand test) and questionnaires regarding your pain and disability.
- A 6-week exercise rehabilitation block; to be completed 2x weekly. These exercise sessions are completed in a small class setting consisting of a maximum of 4 people. Each class goes for approximately 1-hour.
- Each exercise session is supervised by a physiotherapist; with all exercises individually tailored to each participant. As you improve throughout your 6-week intervention your program will be suitably progressed to ensure your continual improvement.
- 2x education seminars designed to allow you to better understand osteoarthritis; teach self management strategies and answer any questions you may have.
- Post course retesting of your baseline. These results are shared with a worldwide database which constantly evaluates the effectiveness of the program.
On average, engagement in this program achieves an average pain reduction of 36%, reduced reliance on pain medications, reduced perceived need for surgery and a significant improvement in self-reported joint confidence – all of this within just 6 weeks.
The total cost of the program is $600 ($50 per 1hr exercise session). Private Health Insurance benefits are claimable on these sessions.
This exercise program is run out of the Fremantle Rowing Club gymnasium, utilising their expansive gym facilities and waterfront location.
Move Physiotherapy is commencing its next GLA:D course on December 1st 2020 at Move Fremantle.
You must complete your initial 1:1 testing with a physiotherapist prior to the commencement of the course. This is a free assessment which is subsidised in the payment of the 6-week program. We do require upfront payment prior to the commencement of the exercise sessions. Attendance of the seminars are free.
For further information, you can contact the clinic on 08 6113 8062. Alternatively, you can contact Lauren via email at Lauren@movephysiotherapy.com.au.
This is a truely fantastic program; and we have seen some incredible improvements in pain levels and function. We look forward to getting started on your best management of knee and hip osteoarthritis.
Note: If you do not wish to participate in the group class, but are interested in a similar program prescribed 1:1 with a physiotherapist, we offer subsidized rehab packages at both our Booragoon and East Fremantle clinics. These rehab appointments are 30mins in duration, and vary in cost between $65 and $85.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is GLA:D?
GLA:D® is a program of exercise and education designed to help reduce the symptoms of hip and/or knee osteoarthritis. There are 12 supervised exercise sessions over 6 weeks, and 2 educations sessions.
Who does it help?
GLA:D® has been shown to help people with mild, moderate and severe osteoarthritis, and people over the age of 40 who have symptoms of osteoarthritis. The factors that improve include pain, mobility and quality of life.
What happens in a session?
There are sets of exercises done by each person. The physiotherapists who run GLA:D® programs have been trained to customise the program to suit the individual – YOU.
What are the costs involved?
Our information seminars are completely free. There are 2 of these seminars conducted within the 6 week program.
The cost of the 12-week block of exercise rehabilitation is $600. This covers 2x 1-hour exercise classes to be completed 2x weekly. This amount must be paid upfront. You can claim your private health insurance rebate on these exercise sessions under code number 560.